GPS for ipod touch and iPhone

Talk about anything related to iphones or ipod touch
Forum rules
Do not link to iphone/ipod touch restoration files unless its an official Apple link. No hacked firmwares allowed so DO NOT ASK FOR THEM OR POST LINKS TO THEM.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

GPS for ipod touch and iPhone

Post by BobSeager »

I saw this awhile back but it looks like its now available to purchase. It's a GPS hardware add-on for the 1st generation iPhone and ipod touch. The developers state it provides GPS functionality to both products. Also, they state that they 'expect' it to work with the second gen ipod touch once a jailbreak for it is available (personally I'd wait for some testing). I still have not seen any news on the front about when 2nd gen touches running 2.2 will br broken tho.

I won't be getting this, just because GPS's in general are so cheap now. But, the site does have tons of model-specific info and more general information about the module itself so if you're interested, give it a look over. I'm not sure what this thing does for battery life, but it can't be good.

https://www.orangegadgets.com/shop/prod ... views_id=1
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: GPS for ipod touch and iPhone

Post by sadalius »

Good information man. The price isn't so bad I don't think. If the maps and features are any good, it beats paying around 200 for a full mobile GPS that has maps and features that are any good.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: GPS for ipod touch and iPhone

Post by BobSeager »

There's also an application I want to try out called G-Map US West (there's also one for the eastern US). It's a big app, like 900mb. It's supposed to be an offline map package you can use for navigation. It doesn't use satellites or cell towers, instead you type in where you are and where you want to go and it routes it for you. The limitations are clear, but it sounds like a reasonable method to navigate directions without any data connection. The 3d View looks pretty sweet, I can't find a good picture to link tho.

From developers:

- On-board electronic map that needs no internet connection
- Large-capacity map data enable easy search of desired location and route
- Real 3D View of intricate major urban intersections and highway junctions
- Smart location search similar to internet search, using keyword search
- Detailed information on restaurants, hotels, and leisure destinations provided with Premium POI
- POI editing and memo capability for personalized POI
- Route preview provides optimal route to destination
- Search by phone number and latitude/longitude
- Phone number dial by POI (for iPhone 3G)

Return to “General Discussion”