Hackintosh

sccrbrandon4788
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Hackintosh

Post by sccrbrandon4788 »

Anybody mess with this stuff?

I successfully got OS X 10.4.8 Tiger installed on VMWare but my goal is to build a computer, aka Hackintosh, so my girlfriend can do her photoshop and illustrator work.
stick person
Bandit
Bandit

Re: Hackintosh

Post by stick person »

I installed it on my T60 over the summer but got rid of it. I didn't really feel like tweaking with a lot of stuff just to get it working. There is so much documentation on it though, so if you do install it and run into problems, you'll most likely be able to fix it

BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

I finally got it to stop kernal panicking during setup by switching from iatkos to kalyway and am in the process of moving files off C inorder to triple boot vista/leopard/ubuntu

I'll update if I ever go through with it.
sccrbrandon4788

I have a coworker that did it on a Dell mini netbook. He said to use iDeneb, I had obtained the Kalyway version but I have been just trying to run VMWare.

What I'm planning on using:
Intel Q6600
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R motherboard
8GB G.Skill 1066 DDR2 (4x2GB sticks)
Nvidia BFG 8800GTS 640mb
500GB Seagate Sata Harddrive

What I have:
Intel Q6600
Nvidia 7600GS
500GB Seagate Sata Harddrive
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

if its any help, my setup is almost identical other than the 8gb ram (!!!!!) and my mobo is 780i sli
sccrbrandon4788

Awesome, my friend said that the Gigabyte board is 99% compatible with the software and updates. He said I should install a EFI-X USB BPU on the motherboard but I don't have a clue what it is. I assume its a bypass to allow the computer to be more compatible...
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

:shock:
yeah i have NO clue what that is...i guess once i do it, i expect to have a few bugs with Leopard...what can you do but try to get it the best

AH! wait i do know what that is...its some sort of dongle that is supposed to increase compatibility like you said...i think its like $90 tho and I have no idea how well it works...but I do remember reading some about it, i think its supposed to kind of 'ease' the process of installing OS on non-sanctioned hardware

personally i would try it without it tho, as far as i know it IS a hardware add-on

i've had much better progress with kalyway than iatkos tho in terms of my computers 'organ' rejections
sccrbrandon4788

Yeah I just read something and its a Boot Processing Unit (BPU) that allows you to install the real OS. So I could get a copy of Leopard and install it off the disc without having to use a patched version, like Kalyway, to get it to install...
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

interesting...anything about its performance in the context of once it installs is the dongle supposed to resolve most issues with hardware from thereon out?

Sounds like a better way to go, ill probably at least see if i can install/run kalyway before going any other route, but let me know how you do
sccrbrandon4788

I'll look into it. I think its only for installing the OS from retail DVD's though. SO probably no advantage besides being able to boot whatever you put in the DVD drive. I can't find a price on it though.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

I guess they've had some legal troubles (shocking right)

http://www.expresshd.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; sells it for $169 which i guess isnt ludicrous...if it works

But that would mean that on top of the retail leopard :lol:

they're a USA seller too
sccrbrandon4788

Yeah I don't know man. I think I'll just do one of the patched versions. There are 3 that I know of, Kalyway, iDeneb, and iAtkos. So far, I've heard good things about the first 2. My coworker said to us iDeneb, I guess he did on his Dell mini.
BobSeager
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by BobSeager »

cool, i agree. at that price at least im willing to try some alternate routes. i will check out ideneb (thx) to see how that goes. ive had no luck at all with iatkos
sccrbrandon4788

What do you think about laptops out now that are compatible? I have about $135 in gift cards that I want to use to get my girl a laptop and if I can get one compatible with OS X then I'd try to get it. She really likes the netbooks but she is stubborn and wants an HP. I know people have ran it on the MSI Wind and the Dell Mini's but I'm sure there's laptops and other netbooks that work too.

Return to “General information”