The place to ask your questions about the Xbox 360
bosanci28
Bandit
Bandit

e74 error light,help

Post by bosanci28 »

i have the e74 error light (sec-box)
and is blinking left/low red light
so i check the 2 avi cables and still the same ,,, does anyone knows whats next to do .. what to check...

thanks for any info
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: e74 error light,help

Post by CoFree »

E74: AV cable error... There is a problem with the AV cable, try using a different AV cable. (this could also be a problem with the internal AV encoder chip)

if it the encoder chip.that is going to be a bad thing.
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
bosanci28
Bandit
Bandit

Post by bosanci28 »

so is there a way to check this internal chip ,the encoder?,,
my screen comes to the error and thats all ,,i can not boot into the menu! is this the way is it?,,thanks
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by CoFree »

dont know man
ive never looked into it
sadalius may have more to offer
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
bosanci28
Bandit
Bandit

Post by bosanci28 »

thanks man ,,, i appreciate your info,,
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

With e74, thats either the AV cable, the connector on the 360 that the cable plugs into, the ANA chip on the motherboard or the GPU on the motherboard. If you've already checked the cable, tried a different cable and checked the video port on your 360, then it's going to be either the ANA chip or the GPU. You can try an x-clamp replacement maybe, but if you still have warranty, I would send it in for repair.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
dbeerman27
Squire
Squire

Post by dbeerman27 »

For the e74 most of the time it is from overheating... I have fixed several 3 light xboxes with the e74 code... The way that I have fixed the xbox is by doing the xclamp fix and also cleaning the gpu and the cpu (google xclamp replacement you will find the parts you need and the instructions. costs about 10 bucks) I think when you take off the heat sinks you will find that the thermal paste is everywhere but on the gpu and cpu... The paste that they used is very cheep...and is almost like clay or putty when it gets over heated... I think that you will find the paste between all of the little chips on the gpu...causing some kind of connection between them... Or you could have cold solder joints from overheating and cooling too much as well. I will cover both.
Clean the heatsink, gpu, and cpu
Use alcohol and qtips to clean these. The CPU and gpu should be shinny when cleaned
Apply 1 or 2 bb sized dots of Artic Silver 5 or Artic Silver 7 to the middle of the gpu and CPU.
Replace you heat sinks per the xclamp instructions also when you replace your xclamps with screws do not over tighten...
Put motherboard back in the bottom case.. Hook everything back up except for the fans.
Turn on the xbox
Let the xbox overheat....
You will see 2 flashing red lights top and bottom left. Wait for 5-8 mins after you see the 2 flashing red lights..
Turn off xbox. This will reheat any cold solder joints you may have. Let it cool for about 10 to 15 mins..
Turn on your xbox and it should work
If it doesn’t work try unhooking the fans and let it over heat again for 10 mins. Then let it cool down again
I have done this list of items to about 10 xboxes with the e74 code and only one still kept the error code...
Play your xbox without putting the outer shells on to make sure it works..... I usually play for about 3 or 4 hours or just let a game like madden play where it keeps loading demos over and over.
Hope you get yours working :lol: :P :P :lol: :D
dbeerman27
Squire
Squire

Post by dbeerman27 »

here are some links for you

xclamp video http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/14376/3-R ... -Xbox-360/

list of parts http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=595746 and reactions to the fix..
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

You know, on the subject of the xclamp replacement, which by the way, does fix a lot of heat related issues along with other modifications to the system, I generally only recommend it when there is no other choice. I also recommend that you use the guide by RBJTECH, in particular his latest one called the MKIII. I'm working on getting permission to re-post his guide here, but if you use that one, you should not have to use any kind of heat treatment or overheat the system. I've used that guide many times with 100% success with none coming back so if you have no other choice (no warranty) I would use that guide, just google rbjtech and you'll find it. But I do recommend getting proper repair if you have the choice.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
bosanci28
Bandit
Bandit

Post by bosanci28 »

thanks guys will give it a try,,i will post results... thanks
dbeerman27
Squire
Squire

Post by dbeerman27 »

hey I just fixed another xbox error code 74 one lower left light over the weekend. The guy I fixed it for has been burning it up(playing for about 4-6 hours at a time) and no problems....... hope you get yours fixed

Return to “Beginners”