Building my web site

Questions about software go here
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Building my web site

Post by technoe »

Ok so I've got my web site setup and running almost exactly like I want the only thing I wish to add is a user list, like on this site. I want a registration page and login requirements and all. I've found some helpful stuff online, but I can't seem to figure out how to get the web page to search for the database with the usernames and passwords.
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Re: Building my web site

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Been quite a while since ive done scripting, but ive found this tutorial and these ready made templates
technoe
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by technoe »

See the thing is I don't know the first thing about how to set up a database for a website script such as PHP to access. I basically need some step by step kind of stuff. I'm pretty quick to pick up this stuff but every once in a while I hit a snag like this that totally stumps me.
Today Money, Tomorrow the WORLD!!
Backslash
Possible Ally of Robinhood
Possible Ally of Robinhood

Post by Backslash »

nevermind i jumped the gun on that one :oops:
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Yea, I dont really mind PHP and scripting, databases are what mess with me too.

What I know about databases is that essentially you create a new one, and set the user and password for it, then its like an excel spreadsheet, you setup the different columns, and the types of variable storage.

I found a nice tutorial here, that is pretty comprehensive, so you will likely learn quite a bit so if any problems do arise, you will be better off to handle them. (Link: http://www.tutorialhero.com/click-40313 ... dation.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

As for creating the DB and running the script, Im not 100% sure how you would do that. You can create the DB in your control panel, but I doubt if you can run a script on it. You may be able to login to your account at mysql.com then format your DB. I know for a fact if you download the MySql Query Browser and create DB's and run scripts on them, because I used to do that. If you did that, I dont know exactly how you would get that DB onto your website. You may be able to upload it to mysql.com or your website, im not completely sure.

Return to “Software”