Trade Used Games at Walmart!!!

Have a read and let us know what you think.
jockavelli
Herald of RHPG
Herald of RHPG

Post by jockavelli »

By Mark Barley

Now here's a potentially great idea, but will probably suck big time.

Gamestop's near-monopoly on the used game market might be over, that is if Walmart has anything to say about it. Word is out that the retail giant wants to buy your used games for in-store credit.

The buy-backs won't be done the average way, there will be a Redbox-like machine that will take your used game from you. Pictures of the actual machine can be seen here:- http://neocrisis.com/content/view/3918/39/. You will be prompted by a display screen to scan the bar code on the box of the game you wish to trade in. Once you scan the bar code, the machine will search its database for the title and if successful, you will be prompted to insert the game disc first and then the box.

You'll create an account that you log into every time you go to trade in a game to the machine and this account will presumably be accessible on any Wal-Mart used game kiosk. There is also a slot to slide your credit/debit card; it's uncertain what role the card plays in you trading in games but my guess it's for some sort of accountability (who traded in what game, etc). Once you've inserted the used game, the machine will print you a voucher for in-store credit. These kiosks, which accept PS2, PS3, Wii, and 360 games, are only in a few Walmart stores right now but seem to be working their way to more and more locations.

Reading different commentary on this machine, it seems as if there are a few shortcomings. The machine's database of games is currently limited so you won't be able to trade in all of your unwanted games. Also, it would be nice to get an electronic receipt for each transaction. There are other minor tweaks that would be needed but all in all it sounds like an interesting alternative to Gamestop. Being able to trade in your unwanted games at your local Walmart while shopping for underwear and milk is about the best idea I've heard of lately.

Have any of you guys came across one of these machines yet???
Bringing NEWS & VIEWS to RHPG
CoFree
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: Trade Used Games at Walmart!!!

Post by CoFree »

jockavelli wrote: Have any of you guys came across one of these machines yet???
not I
i would like to hear from someone that does give this a try. ;)
"FIGHTING TYRANNY in a TECHNOLOGICAL NOTTINGHAM"
No Questions by PM.
Hackedit
Bandit
Bandit

Post by Hackedit »

I personally think that this is a stupid idea, well not really stupid but easy to rip off. You can lets say acquire an credit card if thats all thats needed, copy an expensive retail UPC and scan away getting mad amount of credit. I dont know just seems really flawed to me.

"It's really not fair for conscious beings to be aware of their own mortality."
residentevil
Squire
Squire

Post by residentevil »

trade in is great i cant believe you guys in US have only caught onto it unless walmart is just getting in on the action like the other shops over there

over in the usa u guys have this machine which is good but as one post sed it can be used to get alot of credit in a certain way

im from the UK over here trade in has been goin on for years i do it all the time but over here we take our games dvds cds console to the counter and they print off a cash amount that u would get and also a trade in printoff for something else in store

now the trade in price is abit more and cash is abit less

example i took in guitar hero world tour an xbox ipod and a laptop and got £495 for it cash or £580 trade in

trade in very helpfull if u r strapped for cash great idea
HaGGardSmurf
Ally of Robinhood
Ally of Robinhood

Post by HaGGardSmurf »

Trade ins have been going on for a long time here aswell. There is currently 1 company that holds a monopoly over it, thats why this article was posted, walmart is looking to get in on the action.

Anyways, I think this is a really good idea... The more people that accept trade in's, the more money we will get for trading our games. I highly doubt you can use a fake UPC, and then a burned disk or whatever... There will more than likely be a person watching over it just like the self checkout, and its probably got alot of anti fraud checks...
Hackedit
Bandit
Bandit

Post by Hackedit »

By my post i dont mean create a fake UPC, its not hard to copy one off of a case, nor is it hard to create on with the proper software. What they should do is make a specific gaming area in the Electronics department to handle this. Lines will be crazy either way.

"It's really not fair for conscious beings to be aware of their own mortality."

Return to “Front Page News”