is it a kreon or not?

For questions with backing up your games!
extrafuzzy
Squire
Squire

is it a kreon or not?

Post by extrafuzzy »

hi everyone i bought a kreon off ebay
when i got it the big sticker said sh-sd163b
but on the back of drive a tiny sticker said ts-h353b

now i have not idea if i got scammed
what should i do?

and i also googled that model number and found this

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CVRqCjCVRq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is the drive in the link same as the one i got?
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Re: is it a kreon or not?

Post by sadalius »

The drives are the same. The only difference is the firmware. The hardware is the same. If it's pre-flashed you won't have to do anything. But if it's not flashed, you'll have to download the kreon firmware for the sh-d162c and run the flasher in no check mode to get it to flash the drive. The easiest way to do this is to open a command prompt where you extracted the kreon firmware at and type in "sfdnwin.exe -nocheck" amd it should pop up a dialog box saying something about no check mode, just make sure that the correct drive is shown in the flash utility.
Sadalius

No questions by PM please
extrafuzzy
Squire
Squire

Post by extrafuzzy »

so the drive in the link is also the same one that i recieved from ebay?
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Without actually seeing the drive, I couldn't tell you if thats the drive you got. I'm only saying that the TS-h353 is the same drive as the SH-D162 they just have different firmware. Both can be flashed with each others firmware and function exactly the same, even with kreon firmware. Physically, they are the same drive so I guess you could say you got the same drive as the one on TigerDirect no matter if you got an SH so a TS. I think maybe you are upset at the price difference?

EDIT:

After looking at the drive on TigerDirect, it says this is an HP drive, not a samsung. It would be easy to think that since it was a ts-h353 that this is the same drive, and it could well be a samsung re-badged as an HP, but I don't know as I would take the chance.
Sadalius

extrafuzzy
Squire
Squire

Post by extrafuzzy »

a little bit yes but the difference is about $9

i am just wondering because my 2 friends want a kreon as well and if the one on tigerdirect is same drive i got then i can ordered it from there instead of paying more on ebay for same drive
sadalius
Robinhood
Robinhood

Post by sadalius »

Make sure to read my edit in my last post. If I were going to take the chance, I would order one and try it and see what happens. Then if it don't work, it's just the one drive your out.
Sadalius

extrafuzzy
Squire
Squire

Post by extrafuzzy »

so if it is a samsung rebadged as hp would that drive work?
and maybe i can order one and see what the return policy on it is

EDIT:

i think it will work because i found a post on another forum that a guy pulled a TS-H352b with a HP-02 FW
and he seemed to have been able to flash the kreon fw on it and got it to work

i talked to tigerdirect and they said that the manufacturer made that same model for samsung and hp

so i think i will buy one flash the kreon to see if it works and if not then all i loose is $2 for restocking fee i dont mind that

so once i have flashed it and if it doesnt work i will report back on results
and if they are good results then i guess people can buy $20 kreons lol

once i flash the kreon fw on the tigerdirect drive how would i know if it works or not?
DirtySkunk
Bandit
Bandit

Post by DirtySkunk »

Please report back on this.
I have quite a few customers that would like to be able to make their own backups.
They have all told me that they can only find Pre-Flashed drives on Ebay with that insane mark up.

Return to “Game Backups”